Doesn’t Everybody Love Train Travel Maps & Posters?

1 Feb

Cover art used with permission by Viking Books.

Love railways? Love maps? And what about railway posters? If so, Railway Maps of the World, a new book due out this spring, will be a hit with you. Mark Ovenden is the author. The publisher is Viking, and it has 144 pages. I was lucky enough to get a collection of a few pages, and I am betting Society of IRT readers will love it. I will write a complete review once I read the whole book. In the short version that crossed my desk, favorites include the large Uganda Railway poster with a lion overlooking the construction of the railway skirting the Indian Ocean and the Chemin de Fer Nord Express.  Ovenden is the author of Metro Maps of the World, published 2003, and revised it as Transit Maps of the World in 2007.  “The importance of design in promoting rail transit is undergoing a renaissance; which is good for riders, great for operators and imperative for cutting pollution to protect our environment,” Ovenden says.

Do you have any favorite rail or transit posters and maps?

6 Responses to “Doesn’t Everybody Love Train Travel Maps & Posters?”

1. Chris Wright February 2, 2011 at 3:51 AM #

One of the most famous railway maps of all time must be the one of the London Underground. Surely it must be featured in this book?

• Eleanor Flagler Hardy February 2, 2011 at 10:32 AM #

Dear Mr. Wright: Since I haven’t seen the whole book, I will need to ask the author. Back to you with that answer soon I hope. But do let me know why you think it’s wonderful. EFH

• Mark Ovenden February 3, 2011 at 6:38 PM #

Yes and no Chris!

We featured many maps and diagrams of London Underground in my previous book, Transit Maps of the World, but there is an awesome surprise nestling inside this new book which includes a previously unpublished full colour Beck map of all London’s railways including the Underground and mainline services.

It was specially produced for the book by Beck expert Max Roberts who has digitally remastered and coloured an old monochrome Beck drawing from 1938 and it is truly a wonder to behold!

2. Eleanor Flagler Hardy February 2, 2011 at 1:56 PM #

Check out this comment we received from the author Mark Ovenden:

Just a quick thanks to Track 25 team for the teaser on my forthcoming book, Railway Maps of the World. You’re the first, so I thank you and hope it’s first of many mentions and that people love the book as it’s the fruit of several years hard slog and map collection! All the best with your work on a most excellent site, Mark

If you would like to email Mr. Ovenden any questions or comments about the book, he offers his email: book@markovenden.com

3. Bill S February 2, 2011 at 3:50 PM #

The published price of this book will be $35. Amazon has a pre-publication sale price of $23.10. The book will be available on 4/28/11.

The London Underground map is in “Transit Maps of the World.” I suspect it will not be repeated in this volume.

4. Cigdem BakerDavid June 10, 2011 at 7:31 AM #

Includes the work of Zero Per Zero, the South Korean designers who have reworked London, NY, Barcelona and Tokyo railway maps and offer them not just as calendar/posters, but also books, tapes and other creative products.

Available at